In the fall and winter months, we are spending more time indoors, getting less fresh air, and we get less vitamin D from the sun. As a result, we are more prone to illness. Using essential oils is a great way to support your immune system.
Of course, supporting your immune system begins with making sure you are healthy overall.
- eat a healthy diet, including organic, nutrient-dense foods
- spend time outdoors every day
- drink plenty of water to stay hydrated
- avoid sugar, caffeine & alcohol
- maintain a healthy weight
- take high quality supplements
- detoxify your home
- get good quality sleep
In addition to living a healthy lifestyle, there are ways you can use what nature provides to boost immunity.
You can certainly use herbs, in the form of tea or tinctures, but I prefer to use essential oils.
Essential oils are extremely potent (when you use a good quality brand), and a little goes a long way. They are a convenient option for immune support.
There are also multiple ways you can use essential oils
- aromatically (with a diffuser, or by inhaling from your hands or the bottle)
- topically (using a carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil)
- internally (not all brands & oils can be used internally – always read your label)
For more information on essential oils in general, refer to my Beginner’s Guide to Essential Oils.
Also note that I only use and recommend doTERRA essential oils, due to their purity and potency. These are therapeutic grade essential oils that are safe to use aromatically, topically, and in some cases, internally. The recommendations in this post are based on using doTERRA essential oils only.
Over 90% of essential oils on the market are adulterated (meaning cut with synthetics or other fillers). When using essential oils for health purposes, always make sure you’re using high quality oils.
Here are the best essential oils to support immunity:
Peppermint oil has a fresh, minty aroma, and is great for stimulating the immune system. It’s also lovely to have on hand when your sinuses are plugged up, as it can help support your respiratory system by opening up your airways.
Here are some ways to use peppermint oil for immune support:
- add it to your diffuser (blend it with OnGuard or Lemon essential oil)
- put a drop on your tongue
- rub it on the back of your neck and your chest to help keep airways open
Lemon oil is excellent for detoxification. We are less likely to get ill if our bodies aren’t overloaded with toxins. Lemon oil helps support the health of the liver by removing toxins from the body.
Here are some ways you can use lemon oil:
- replace chemical cleaners with a homemade all-purpose cleaning spray
- add a drop or 2 of lemon oil to your drinking water
- diffuse lemon oil to help uplift your mood and clean the air
3. Tea Tree
Tea Tree essential oil is known for its antimicrobial properties. Its antifungal activity is perfect for dealing with skin issues, such as acne, cuts, scrapes, and small wounds.
Here are some ways you can use Tea Tree essential oil:
- add it to a roller bottle with other immune-boosting essential oils, and apply it to the bottoms of your feet
- apply it directly to minor skin irritations to speed up healing and reduce the risk of infection
- use it to disinfect surfaces
Lavender essential oil isn’t an oil you’d typically think of when it comes to supporting your immune system. Lavender is known for its ability to calm and soothe the mind. Since getting better sleep is important for maintaining a strong immune system, incorporating lavender into your nighttime routine can do wonders.
Here are some ways you can use lavender oil:
- combine lavender oil and water in a spray bottle, and spritz your pillow just before you climb into bed
- diffuser lavender + lemon essential oil in your bedside diffuser
- rub a few drops of lavender on the bottoms of your feet
Oregano oil is extremely high in antioxidants, and is a powerhouse when it comes to supporting a healthy immune system. Oregano oil acts as a natural antibiotic, and is an essential oil you definitely want to have on hand.
Pure oregano oil is extremely hot, so you want to use caution when using it. Make sure you are diluting it with a carrier oil.
Here are some ways you can use oregano oil for immune support:
- Add 2 drops to an empty gel cap with some olive oil, take 2-3 times per day to ward off potential threats
- Dilute and apply to the bottoms of your feet
- Put 1 drop of oregano oil in a bowl of hot water to make a steam treatment to ward off respiratory infections
Frankincense essential oil is anti-inflammatory, an antiseptic, and an astringent. It has many benefits when it comes to cellular health, skin health, and emotional health. Frankincense is a wonderful addition to your immune support protocol.
Here are some ways you can use Frankincense oil for immune support:
- put a drop under your tongue each day for preventative support
- apply to your spine
- diffuse with other essential oils, such as lavender
While most of the essential oils we’ve discussed so far have been individual oils, OnGuard is unique in that it’s a blend of different essential oils, specifically designed to target and support your immune system.
OnGuard essential oil blend contains cinnamon bark, clove bud, rosemary, wild orange, and eucalyptus oil. When blended together, not only do these oils smell incredible, but they are a powerhouse when it comes to supporting your immune system.
This is my go-to essential oil blend for the fall and winter months.
Here are some ways to use OnGuard essential oil blend for immune support:
- diffuse to purify the air
- take it internally using a veggie capsule
- use it as a daily hand sanitizer when out and about
High Quality Supplements
While not technically an essential oil, I do recommend taking some high-quality supplements, year-round, to prevent illness. A lot of times, illness is the result of poor nutrition. When our bodies are strong, and have all the nutrients they need, they are less likely to get ill.
Since starting these vitamins nearly 10 years ago, I rarely get ill.
This is the combination I use, and it contains a food-based multi-vitamin, an omega-3 supplement, and an herbal cellular support complex. I also add in a good quality probiotic, because gut health plays a key role in a healthy immune system.
These supplements are entirely food-based, not synthetic – this is important because our bodies don’t recognize synthetic nutrients, and can even cause harm.
Immune Support Recipes
For convenience, you can combine multiple essential oils together to create an immune boosting blend, which allows you to experience the combined benefits of multiple essential oils. Here are a couple immune-boosting essential oil recipes you can try:
Immune Support Roller Blend
10 drops Frankincense
10 drops Lemon
5 drops Oregano
10 drops OnGuard
10 drops Tea Tree
Combine essential oils in a roller bottle, topped with fractionated coconut oil. During cold and flu season, roll this on the bottoms of your feet and down your spine 1-2 times a day
2 drops peppermint
1 drop oregano
2 drops lemon
2 drops tea tree
Add essential oils to hot water in a mug. Close your eyes, and breathe in deeply. You can put a towel over your head if you wish to contain the steam.
How to Purchase Essential Oils
I started using essential oils 10 years ago, and it was important to me to purchase high-quality essential oils that are intended for therapeutic use.
The vast majority (over 90%!) of essential oils on the market are adulterated – including many of the popular brands you’ll find at health food stores.
I did a ton of research when beginning my essential oil journey, and the only brand I use and trust is dōTERRA. Their quality, purity, and potency is truly second to none, and they are very transparent with their testing.
With doTERRA, the best way to purchase essential oils is with a wholesale account. With a wholesale account, you get 25% off all your essential oils.
There is no minimum purchase or obligation, it simply gives you access to discounts. And you can grab a FREE wholesale account for one year when you use my link!
You can choose to purchase essential oils individually, or you can begin with a starter kit (recommended). The starter kits are discounted, and include everything you need to get started with essential oils.
Here are my favourite starter kits for immune support: