doTERRA Essential Oil Diffuser Review & Comparison
This review of dōTERRA’s diffusers will help you choose the right diffuser for you and your home. Whether you’re looking for long run times, smaller size, coverage for large spaces, or portability, these high quality doTERRA diffusers have you covered.
What Are Essential Oil Diffusers?
An essential oil diffuser is a device that breaks essential oils down into tiny particles, dispersing them into the air for a pleasant or calming effect—depending on the oil that’s been put into the diffuser. For instance, lavender has a calming effect, where citrus and mint oils have an uplifting effect.
Using an essential oil diffuser is the best way to distribute essential oils into the air, so you can inhale them to experience the aromatic benefits and delight your sense of smell.
Why Diffuse Essential Oils?
Our sense of smell is directly connected to our limbic system, which is the emotional centre of our brain. Diffusing is the easiest way to enjoy the aromatic benefits of essential oils.
Research has shown that the scent of essential oils can cause reactions in chemical sensors in the brain. Because of this, aromatic use allows the essential oil user to achieve a desired effect.
Many essential oils contain chemical properties that have been shown to promote relaxing feelings, a calming atmosphere, and the ability to soothe anxious feelings when used aromatically.
Here are just some of the benefits of diffusing essential oils:
- Put you and your family members in a good mood
- Make your home smell incredible using your favorite scents, without introducing toxic synthetic fragrance
- Clean and purify the air
- Make your home feel welcoming
- Improves focus and concentration
- Helps with relaxation and sleep
- Support the respiratory system for clear breathing
- Reduce stress or anxious feelings
- Support your immune system
For an in-depth view of the benefits of diffusing essential oils, download this free guide: Aromatic Use of Essential Oils
Aromatic Use of Essential Oils
… our sense of smell is a powerful tool that significantly influences the way we experience life
Throughout this book, we’ll discuss how the power of aroma can transform your entire day. We’ll discover why the potent aromas of essential oils have made them useful for centuries and how we can still use them today for hundreds of benefits.
What Are the Different Types of Diffusers?
A nebulizing diffuser allows you to insert your essential oil bottle directly into the diffuser, and uses no water. It breaks down the essential oil into tiny particles through the use of a high velocity, pressurized air stream and jet nozzle. It’s a mess-free way to experience the benefits of essential oils in your home.
- Pros: No water. No heat.
- Cons: Most expensive. Uses a lot of oil. Can be loud.
Heat diffusers use heat elements to help the essential oil gradually evaporate into the air.
- Pros of a heat diffuser: No Noise.
- Cons of a heat diffuser: Heat lessens or damages the therapeutic benefit of the oil.
Evaporative diffusers uses air flow to spread the scent of the essential oils into the area
A fan blows air through a filter, such as a tissue or a pad that has essential oils dropped onto it.
- Pros of an evaporative diffuser: Quiet. Affordable. Portable.
- Cons of an evaporative diffuser: Less therapeutic because the lighter essential oil components evaporate first, while the heavier components evaporate last.
This popular type of diffuser uses water and electronic frequencies to create a fine mist from the essential oil and water. Ultrasonic vibrations are created by a small disk under the surface of the water which causes the essential oil to break up into small particles.
- Pros of an ultrasonic diffuser: Uses only a small amount of essential oil. No heat. Little to no noise.
- Cons of an ultrasonic diffuser: Only a small fraction of the mist is essential oil. Depends on the air current already in the room to disperse the oil. If you already live in a more humid place, you may not want to add more water to the air with your diffuser.
What Types of Diffusers does doTERRA Sell?
doTERRA primarily offers ultrasonic diffusers, and one humidifier that allows you to add essential oils.
How to Use a dōTERRA Essential Oil Diffuser
- Add tap water to the water level line
- Add 3-5 drops of pure essential oils (low quality essential oils will require you to use a lot of oil. The best essential oils to use are doTERRA essential oils, which will require less drops of essential oil, saving you money in the long run)
- Select your time settings and light settings
- The diffuser will shut off automatically when the water level runs low
Essential Oil Diffuser Tips
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your doTERRA essential oil diffuser:
- to maximize the therapeutic benefits, always use high-quality oils.
- never heat essential oils.
- have an essential oil diffuser in each room of your home, and diffuse oils appropriate for that room (ie – spa oils in your bathroom, such as eucalyptus or Balance, Citrus or food oils in your kitchen, such as Citrus Bliss, or Wild Orange and Lemon, or lemongrass and sage.
- use a portable diffuser, such as the Pilot diffuser, in your vehicle, so you can enjoy the aromatic benefits of essential oils while you drive.
- clean your diffuser once a month to keep it functioning well
What Are the Best Essential Oil Diffusers?
We have a beautiful range of essential oil diffusers in a variety of styles and sizes to suit all tastes and budgets. This diffuser review will help you select the right diffuser for you and your home or business setting.
Below, you’ll find the various diffusers that doTERRA sells, I’ll share the tank size, diffusing time, interval settings, square footage, light options, and any other special features of each one.
The Pilot Diffuser is a portable diffuser. It is designed to be a car diffuser, so it is slim enough to fit into a cup holder.
This diffuser is perfect for using in your vehicle, or to take with you while traveling. Use it while driving to your destination, then set it on your night stand next to your bed to help you get a good night’s sleep, and to purify and humidify the hotel room air.
I use mine in my bathroom, as I only have 2 plugs which always seem to be in use (one with a night light, and the other with our electric toothbrush). So having the ability to recharge it and let it run without being plugged in is ideal. It also perfect for small spaces.
The Pilot diffuser includes an adapter which allows you to plug it into an A/C plug or a USB port. So you can even plug it into your computer, or anywhere you have a USB port available.
The Pilot diffuser can run for up to 4 hours continuously, or 8 hours intermittently. It’s ideal for a small room, as it can only cover up to 200 square feet of space.
- Water capacity: 1.52 fl oz/45 ml
- Up to 200 sq ft
- Continuous mist, up to 4 hours
- Intermittent mist, up to 8 hours
- Optional, bright warm ambient light option
- Automatic safety shutoff
The roam diffuser is another rechargeable, portable diffuser, which is perfect for those spaces where you don’t have access to a plug. Set it in the middle of your kitchen table, on a patio table to diffuse your favourite insect-repelling essential oils, or in a room of your house that doesn’t have a plug, such as a powder room.
The Roam Diffuser has a beautiful, colorful ground stone outer shell, making it an attractive diffuser to look at. It also has some weight to it.
It runs for 5 hours when using the power adapter, or 4 hours when running on a full charge.
- Water capacity: 3.4 fl. oz./100 ml
- Up to 270 sq. ft.
- Continuous up to 4-5 hours
- Intermittent up to 8-10 hours
- Automatic safety shut-off
- Cord-free and battery-powered with a charging base
- Responsibly created with eco-friendly, post-consumer recycled resin
- soft white light, warm and cyan light options
The stylish Volo Diffuser comes in either Onyx black or a white marble finish. With this diffuser, you can adjust the mist output; you can choose to have a little mist or a lot of mist.
It has a 1, 3, 6, or 14 hour run setting.
The light on this one can be turned on or off. This diffuser is whisper quiet, so it’s a good option for using next to your bed.
- Water capacity: 8.5 fl. oz./250 ml
- Up to 300 sq. ft.
- High mist, up to 6 hours
- Low mist, up to 14 hours
- Optional light settings: light-free, warm, or bright ambient light
- Auto-dimming timer light
- Handcrafted polyresin stone top with a custom diamond pattern
Turn any space into a luxurious spa with Laluz. This beautiful diffuser creates ultrasonic vibrations, transforming water and essential oils into an aroma-infused mist. Its specially designed LED light options give the aroma an ambiance to match.
With 330 square feet of coverage, it’s the perfect choice for larger spaces, such as your living room.
The Laluz has 3 ambient light settings, with a run time of 1, 2, 4, or 8 hours.
- Water capacity: 4.06 fl. oz./120 ml
- Up to 330 sq. ft coverage
- Continuous up to 4 hours
- Low mist up to 8 hours
- Timer: 1 hr/2hr/4hr/Timer
- Dim, bright warm, lavender light options
- Automatic safety shut-off
- Glass top cover
Dawn Aroma Humidifier
The Dawn Aroma Humidifier is basically a mini humidifier. Its 22 hour run time allows you to maintain ideal humidity levels day and night. Simply refill it 1-2 times a day. With this amazing humidifier, you can create comfort in any room of your home.
With most humidifiers, you cannot add essential oils, as essential oils will break down plastics and ruin your humidifier. The Dawn Aroma Humidifier is made out of an oil-safe plastic, which basically gives you a 2-in-1 machine: both a humidifier and a diffuser. It is perfect for the winter months, and for respiratory support.
- Water capacity: .48 gal/1.8 L
- Up to 270 sq. ft.
- High mist, up to 7 hours
- Medium mist, up to 12 hours
- Low mist, up to 22 hours
- Sleep mode: Automatically adjusts to maintain a comfortable level of humidity
- Top fill feature: Add water & oils without removing the lid
- Easy to clean
- Low noise level
- Automatic safety shut-off
Despite its small size, the Pebble Diffuser packs a lot of power. This ultrasonic diffuser delivers several useful features, including a five-hour continuous runtime, ten-hour intermittent runtime, and multiple light settings.
The pebble diffuser is perfect if you have a small room, or want a diffuser that doesn’t take up a lot of space.
- Water Capacity: 3.5 fl. oz./100 ml
- Continuous mist, up to 5 hours
- Intermittent mist, up to 10 hours
- Up to 270 sq. ft.
- Cyan, white, purple, warm white, and blue light options
The Pebble Diffuser is also featured in our most popular starter kit: The Healthy Start Kit.
if you’re new to essential oils, the best way to begin is with a starter kit. Our Healthy Start Kit includes the Pebble Diffuser, plus 5 ml bottles of each of our top 10 essential oils. If you’re new to essential oils, you’ll find this is the perfect way to begin your essential oil journey.
dōTERRA is the largest essential oil company in the world, and is the best essential oil brand out there. When you use dōTERRA essential oils, you’ll only need to use 3-5 drops in your diffuser, versus 15-20 drops of lower quality brands. You can see how quickly you’d use up your essential oils using other brands!
Best Essential Oil Diffuser Based On Your Needs
Longest run time: Dawn Aroma Humidifier (up to 22 hours)
Largest water reservoir: Dawn Aroma (1.8 L)
Most Square footage: Laluz (330 square feet)
Best price point: Pebble ($33 Retail/$25 Wholesale)
Portability: Pilot (rechargeable) or Roam (charging base)
So what is the verdict of the dōTERRA diffuser review?
It completely depends on your needs and budget. All doTERRA diffusers are good quality, so that is not a factor. It’s more about exploring the different options and deciding which one is best for you.
Personally, I have a variety of different diffusers, as they all serve a different purpose, or work better in certain rooms. There is not really one perfect diffuser. But if I had to choose only one, it would be the Pebble Diffuser, which is included with the Healthy Start kit, or the Laluz diffuser as a standalone diffuser, due to its beauty and wide variety of helpful features, and it covers the most square footage.
Diffuser Comparison Chart
Here is a helpful diffuser comparison chart that summarizes all of the above.
Here are more essential oil blog posts you might be interested in:
Beginner’s Guide to Essential Oils
7 Essential Oil Cleaning Recipes
Save It for Later
Pin it to your favourite Natural Living Pinterest board so you can refer back to it later.